At first, I wasn’t sure about the idea. If you’re going to find out, why not share it? But his plan started to grow on me. As we executed it, we realized we have several advantages:
- Driving our moms crazy. (Obviously this ranks highly on the “pro” list.)
- Knowing what to expect so we can prepare.
- Limiting the amount of clothes we receive. Both moms are eager to dress our infant. But they grow so quickly. We don’t need too many 3-month-old-sized overalls or frilly dresses.
- Preventing an overabundance of either blue or pink anything. Same with toys. There is no such thing as a “boy” toy or “girl” toy. But toy manufacturers seem to disagree.
- Adding an air of mystery and fun to the baby conversations.
That last one has been the most surprising. It’s fun to watch people guess based on who-knows-what sorcery. Most people seem to guess based on how I’m carrying the child. Given that my mother carried all four of her children differently, I find this amusing. Another camp says we “slipped up,” and referred to our child more than once as one sex or another. Or did we? 🙂
But now, it’s almost time to reveal the truth. Starting today, I’m making the big list of guesses. Send me your guess via email, Facebook or text message.
On Feb. 1 we will announce whether Baby Suarez is a boy or a girl!